Enjoying pancakes guilt free!
As we all tuck into our pancakes this Shrove Tuesday, make sure you do it guilt free!
Pancakes are downright delicious but they’re not the healthiest thing in the world. Indulge in some batter-y goodness this Pancake Day by burning off the calories before or after. There’s nothing tastier than a calorie-free treat!
If you’re wondering how you can maintain that epic rugby physique, don’t worry we’ve got you…
Did you know?
One plain pancake has around 50 cals/1.5g of fat. This rises to around 100 cals/5g fat with the addition of lemon and sugar so we went for the 100 calorie option, but feel free to halve it if you’re opting for a plain pancake.
Two pancakes with syrup are 475 calories!
Each exercise burns 277 calories – around the same amount as a pancake!
- Walking (3-4 mph) – 60 Minutes.
- Boxing (Punching bag) – 20 minutes.
- Jogging on the treadmill – 30 minutes.
- Dance aerobics – 35 minutes.
- Skipping with rope – 20 minutes.
- Exercise bike – 40 minutes.
- Circuit training – 25 minutes.
Each exercise burns 475 calories – two pancakes with syrup!
- 1.2 Hours of Cycling
- 48 Minutes of Running
- 2.9 Hours of Cleaning
Enjoy your pancakes…it’s all about balance!
A stack of warm, fluffy pancakes are sure to bring smiles to even the strictest sportsperson, so here’s our recipe to enjoy (before or after) your workout!
- 3/4 cup (175 mL)all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL)cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)wheat or oat bran or wheat germ (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL)granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL)baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL)baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL)salt
- 1 cup (250 mL)buttermilk or soured 2% milk*
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL)vanilla extract
- Fresh berries or chopped fruit (optional)
- Maple syrup (optional)
Stir flour, cornstarch, bran (if using), sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in large bowl. Whisk eggs, milk, oil and vanilla in small bowl. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients just until combined.
Spray large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Spoon about 1/4 cup (50 mL) batter per pancake into pan, spreading batter slightly. Cook until bubbles appear on surface, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook until lightly browned on second side, about 1 minute.
Serve immediately or keep warm while cooking remaining batter. Serve topped with fresh berries and syrup , if desired.